Create voters for life by partnering with local high schools to encourage civic engagement early on.
The ideal program will help high schools create an internal campaign for students to get involved in the conversation about taking civic responsibility seriously (and proudly) so when they get the right to vote, they do it. We want this to result in a rise of young citizens with the “I’ve voted since I was able to vote … it’s never been a question” … they frame the conversation around why they and their peers should vote.
- Establish criteria for lesson-planning to bring to high schools … for example, a free summer workshop, or a visiting teacher/professional program with art and newspaper students, possibly government classes
- We help the students come up with the headlines, the images, the visuals, the campaign strategy to get their fellow students to vote
- Poster show/exhibit engages the community
- Bonus: create a new generation of designers and problem solvers.
Rough Timeline :
- By mid summer, need to have approval within individual schools and ISD’s
- September : host a Saturday workshop / briefing …
- AIGA board meets with students once in September, twice in October … to guide them through the delivering out their campaign …
Team members needed / suggested
- 2 event leads/co-chairs
- School district liason/sponsor
- Volunteer/mentor coordinator
- Communications / art
Cost estimate / resources needed
Frances Yllana, Dallas: email@example.com