Punk is political. This non-partisan event model rallies voter engagement around the idea of civic advocacy and being involved or have influence on the powers (fight them!) that rule/determine our every day lives. The ideal is to create an underground-like swell of voter engagement among the non-conformist communities.
Politics, and the stress of the issues in the news (or not in the news) can tick people off. Rally Derby* allows people to get together, watch a derby match (and maybe a fight) which can help alleviate / channel the stress of the election. And it also encourages voting, in all the elections, not just the presidential ones.
*If you can’t find a roller derby, you can just make this a music-driven poster show.
- Find an underground venue / roller-derby
- Use venue walls to show more grungy, punk-like posters :: GOTV, Punk Posters
- Sub-call-for-posters :: a sub-genre of the main poster contest in the style of Fugazi, Sex Pistols, TCQ, NWA …
- Add a zine table / t-shirts / buttons / stickers …
- Have a punk band and a hip hop band play outside/inside
Rough Timeline :
- 6 weeks from start to finish minimum // ideally 8 weeks planning
- 6-4 weeks prior : Select and confirm venue // call for specific entries (or curate it with select designers/creatives) / contact and confirm performers
- 4 weeks prior, set up event – announce on social, web, email blast, etc. – add names of curated artists / designers
- 2 weeks prior : confirm, walk through …
Team members needed / suggested
- 2 event leads/co-chairs
- Call for posters coordinator
- Volunteer coordinator
- Promos/chachkies (zines, t-shirts, buttons, etc)
- Communications / art
Cost estimate / resources needed
- Printing donation
- Venue donation
- Food and drink sponsored
Frances Yllana, Dallas : email@example.com